[SunHELP] Not using pathnames for commands

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Mon Jul 18 12:25:37 CDT 2005

Quoth Christopher Singleton

>    Basic question, how do I set it up so that I don't have to input
> the full pathname for a command?  For instance, if I want to run the
> program '/etc/example', how can I set it up so that I can just type
> 'example' in the command line and not '/etc/example' every time I
> want to run the command?  Thank you,

You want to set your PATH to include, in order, the directories in which you
want the system to search for the commands you enter on the command line.

Use the command ...

	echo $PATH

... to see what your current PATH is, then change your startup script to set
your PATH appropriately.  The name of your startup script varies, so see the
appropriate man page for your shell.

-Shel