[SunHELP] DNS working oddly

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Jul 12 09:16:19 CDT 2005

Steve Sandau wrote:
> Lara Matthews wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction.  My DNS server
>>is acting strangely.
>>
>>It can resolve itself and the other domains that it runs but does not
>>want to resolve anything outside.
[...]
>>bash-2.05# nslookup www.sun.com
>>Server:  ns.accesscomputing.co.uk
>>Address:  213.128.229.177
>>
>>*** ns.accesscomputing.co.uk can't find www.sun.com: Server failed
>>
>>Any thoughts why this might be happening?
>>

> Are you behind a firewall? Is it allowing port 53 tsp and udp in and
> out? Do you have a current hints file? What does 'dig' with no
> parameters tell you? (It ought to come back with a list of root servers.)

This may be stupidly obvious, but it just bit me.  Is routing working
correctly on the machine?  One of my nameservers just stopped performing
external lookups, and I eventually found that something had overwritten
/etc/defaultrouter and deleted the default route.  When I fixed those
two, suddenly it all worked fine again.

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518