[SunHELP] anyone gotten a 73gig drive to work with am ultra?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Jul 1 15:10:49 CDT 2005

" From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
"
" You might try changing the jumper for delay start, as a final test.
" I know when I put some newer SCSI (well, circa 1998 drives) in
" older Macs (IIci), I had trouble where the disks didn't spin up
" soon enough so that the OS would recognize them.  I would
" expect the Sun to be better about that though.

suns are a lot better about that.  i always jumper my disks for spin
up on selection, to spread out the power surge on cold boot.  the obp
then sends scsi start when it gets to the drive.

it was quite noticeable on my old sparc2 under sunos4.  you'd see the
mem test, then hear the root disk spin up, then after a second or two
the /usr disk.