[SunHELP] Export shadow from Linux to Solaris 8

Sebastian Jaenicke sj+sunhelp at jaenicke.org
Wed Jan 19 17:36:27 CST 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 07:08:33PM -0400, Saily Cedri wrote:
[..]
> I have exported users from Solaris to Linux just copying the passwd and
> shadow, but now I can not do the opposite, because it does not work.

Looks like different algorithms are used to create the hashed pass-
words (MD5, DES), with Linux understanding both algorithms and Solaris
only one of them (DES).

Disable MD5-based passwords on the Linux box and ask all users to change
their passwords once; after that, it should be possible to transfer the
encrypted passwords between Solaris and Linux.

- Sebastian
--
Sebastian Jaenicke