[SunHELP] Upgrade Solaris 8

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Feb 28 13:34:17 CST 2005

" From: vkp <vinod.pissey at hal.hitachi.com>
"
" All,
"
" I have a sun machine connected to HDS SAN box with a qlogic card running
" Solaris 8.
" I would like to upgrade this to Solaris 9.
" Could anyone tell me what is the best practise whether an upgrade or a fresh
" install.
"
" Also if anyone has the procedure to do the same it would be great.
"
" Appreciate your feedback on this.

my favorite way is to attach a temporary disk to the system and copy
the old [current] os to it.  then install the new os clean, and comb
through all the system files on both versions looking for site-local
customizations - and finally, if the new install doesn't work for some
reason, reboot from the saved old one and regroup...