[SunHELP] what do CPU utilization figures actually measure

fabio fabio at crearium.com
Tue Feb 1 12:30:36 CST 2005

Grindell, Joan M. wrote:

>I would have thought that CPU utilization measure the time the CPU was
>active.  I've been told by a couple of sources that CPU utilization is a
>combination of wait for I/O, CPU usage and something else.
>
>Can anyone tell me what CPU utilization actually represents on a Solaris
>system.  If I remember correctly from my mainframe days i/o waits were not
>considered part of CPU utilization.

The CPU on Solaris OS just compute LWP, the process can have several
states, like blocked, waiting, suspended, ready, etc.

Also, some architectures, allow the cpu to move data from disks to
memory without its interaction.

Where do you see the "cpu utilization" that you are talking about?
cpustat, top, prstat ?

fabio.