[SunHELP] Guidelines on the number of sysadmins need to support a server.

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Dec 21 14:04:25 CST 2005

On Dec 21, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Grindell, Joan M. wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> 	Is anyone aware of any guidelines that address the appropriate
> staff size based on the number of servers in the environment?  We
> would
> like to know for example how many system admins are needed to
> support a
> server taking into account the requirements for patching, monitoring,
> and securing a server.
>
> Many thanks,
> Joan

There is no good answer for this.  It depends on the server OS,
hardware, applications that reside _on_ the server, experience level
of the admins, level of vendor support and so on. It's a complexity
thing - the more complex the network the more administrators.

However note that a network that is very large and complex yet relies
heavily on automation for scut work needs few admins - yet you're
advised to make sure these admins are smarter and paid better than
(say) your average MCSE a year out of school.

A fellow named Mark Verber wrote some rough guidelines on this for
SAGE titled 'How Many Administrators are Enough?'.  It is not
inclusive - nothing could be - but might point you in the right
direction.

http://www.verber.com/mark/sysadm/how-many-admins.html

Brian Dunbar
System Administrator II