[SunHELP] root passwd expired

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Thu Dec 1 13:58:45 CST 2005

On Nov 30, 2005, at 4:16 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Quoth stephen price ...
> [I said ...]
>>> Lemme ask that another way ... Why have root's
>>> password expire at all?  What
>>> benefit do you get from root password expiration?
>>>

>> Answer - compliance with a whole list of federal
>> government, military, financial or general industry
>> "must-comply" regulations, standards, procedures and
>> documents, depending upon your industry and product.
>>
>> Here's a few examples of regulations/standards I run
>> into that compliance auditors will reference that
>> require root password expiration::
>>
>> 1) sarbanes-oxley (sox)
>> 2) gramm-leach-bliley act (glba)
>> 3) national industrial security program operating
>> manual (nispom)
>> 4) health insurance portability and accountability
>> (hipaa)
>> 5) federal financial institutions examination council
>> (ffiec)
>
> Just gag me with a spoon full of porkbarrel with ridiculous-
> intrusion sauce.
>
> I have some passing acquaintance with HIPAA, but of the others I'm
> blissfully ignorant.  In all cases, though, it would seem wiser to
> specify
> the result of security measures, rather than having committees of
> non-technical people dictate the measures themselves.  I can't
> imagine that
> the scheduled changing of a password makes it any more secure that a
> well-chosen password that's properly guarded and changed when
> conditions
> require.

It would - probably is - wiser to specify a result not the steps.
But you'll fail the audit.   Failing the audit can result in fines,
possible jail time, drop in stock price.

The auditors I've seen are non-technical and reading from a script.
Process doesn't matter, compliance does.  It's kinda like taking a
physics major, handing him, say, a best practices book for 'how to
play football' and having him audit Brett Farve's performance.