[SunHELP] Installing Solaris 10 on a logical partition

Daniel Tahin daniel_tahin at web.de
Tue Apr 19 08:55:39 CDT 2005

Hi,

Thanx for your answer!

The SunHELP List <sunhelp at sunhelp.org> schrieb am 18.04.05 18:59:43:

> Daniel Tahin wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have downloaded Solaris 10 for PC, to getting familiar with it. I'm very new in Solaris:-)
> > To install it, i use the bootable CD-image. Installing it, is very simple, but i would like to install it in a logical partition, because i  need the available 4 primary partition, since there is other OS's on the PC (e.g. Windows), that like a primary partition to be installed in.
> > It seems the install-wizard doesn't allow this. I tryed to create a logical partition under Linux, and change the partition-ID to 0xBF (this was the ID of the primary partition, after the installation), but the install-wizard didn't recognize it.
> >
> > Can you help me at this problem, or is this possible at all?
>
> You cannot turn a logical partition into a primary partition simply by
> changing its ID.  The structures are physically different, and if
> Solaris x86 requires a physical partition and you have none available,
> you're out of luck.

Yes you have right, but what i made, wasn't, that you wrote. I made simply one logical partition under Linux with cfdisk. And i changed the ID of this partition to 0xBF. Default is Linux :-) This was the same thing, that i made some times by changing the ID to FAT32, and creating a FAT32 filesystem on it.

> Have you considered installing another disk?  This would give you four
> more primary partitions available.

Yes it seems, Solaris has its own imagination, creating partitions :-]