[SunHELP] Installing Solaris 10 on a logical partition

Simon Annear simon.annear at solnetsolutions.co.nz
Mon Apr 18 14:49:01 CDT 2005

Use vmware (get a demo copy).  It works really well for sol 9 x86
running under windows

Simon

Phil Stracchino wrote:

>Daniel Tahin wrote:
>

>>Hello!
>>
>>I have downloaded Solaris 10 for PC, to getting familiar with it. I'm very new in Solaris:-)
>>To install it, i use the bootable CD-image. Installing it, is very simple, but i would like to install it in a logical partition, because i  need the available 4 primary partition, since there is other OS's on the PC (e.g. Windows), that like a primary partition to be installed in.
>>It seems the install-wizard doesn't allow this. I tryed to create a logical partition under Linux, and change the partition-ID to 0xBF (this was the ID of the primary partition, after the installation), but the install-wizard didn't recognize it.
>>
>>Can you help me at this problem, or is this possible at all?
>>

>You cannot turn a logical partition into a primary partition simply by
>changing its ID.  The structures are physically different, and if
>Solaris x86 requires a physical partition and you have none available,
>you're out of luck.
>
>Have you considered installing another disk?  This would give you four
>more primary partitions available.

Attention:
This email may contain information intended for the sole use of
the original recipient. Please respect this when sharing or
disclosing this email's contents with any third party. If you
believe you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify the sender or postmaster at solnetsolutions.co.nz as
soon as possible. The content of this email does not necessarily
reflect the views of SolNet Solutions Ltd.