[SunHELP] ultra-1 and quantum hard drive problem

Arthur Wouk awouk at nilenet.com
Tue Apr 12 12:30:15 CDT 2005

:From: adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)
:
:" From: awouk at nilenet.com (Arthur Wouk)
:"
:" i have an ultra-1 creator with200mhz cpu.
:"
:" it has four hard drives: two internal sca
:" drives, one external 50-pin seagate 9gig drive in a 411 box, connected
:" with a 68-pin to 50pin cable, and a Quantum ATLAS10K2-TY734J73gig
:" drive in a 611 box connected via a 68 pin to 68pin scsi cable.
:"
:" the first three are seen by both probe-scsi and format. the quantum is
:" not seen by either probe-scsi or format, but during boot it is seen
:" and rejected. i separate the relevant messages from a boot with all four
:" connected by a line of = signs.
:
:you don't specify, but is the quantum first on the external chain,
:with the seagate at the end?

yes, the seagate is at the end of the chain and is properly terminated. if
remove the seagate entirely, the same failure occurs.
:
:" it has been suggested to me that this large a drive responds with a
:" self test to the load/stop/start command, and the self test takes more
:" time than the computer allows for startup. if this is so, then a much
:" smaller drive, say an 18gig one, might be a better replacement.  or
:" lese, it might be a jumper problem on the hard drive.
:
:this is plausible but only on cold starts.  the drive should already
:be spinning and selftested on warm reboots.
:
:" this is the second such quantum drive i have tried in this configuration.
:
:this certainly seems to rule drive failure out.
:Andrew Hay                                  the genius nature
:internet rambler                            is to see what all have seen
:adh at an.bradford.ma.us                       and think what none thought
:
:
: