[SunHELP] Bind 9.2.3

George Munk MUNKG at iomega.com
Tue May 25 09:31:42 CDT 2004

Lara,

I'm not sure if it is considered a bug or a limitation, but nslookup
tries a reverse name resolution on the name server (213.128.229.177 in
your case) before trying to resolve the name being queried. If the
reverse lookup on the name server fails, it doesn't continue.

In my experience, dig doesn't append any domains from the "domain" or
"search" directives in resolv.conf. But I don't know that I have ever
seen any direct statements that this is the correct behavior. So dig is
not equivalent to the nslookup command. In newer bind versions, "host"
is the equivalent of nslookup without the reverse lookup limitation.

Regards,
George Munk