[SunHELP] 12/24 GB on a tape?

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Tue May 18 03:27:21 CDT 2004

Hi

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 08:06, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 07:12:35PM -0700, ert weerr wrote:
> > Hi Guruz,
> >
> > I always wanted to know how I can write compressed
> > data onto our tape and what the 12/24 GB means on
> > the labels?

As far as Sun is concerned with Sparc Solaris (no idea on X86 version).
There a whole bunch of devices you can use to write to the tape drive.
They are all in /dev/rmt and your tape drive will probably start with a
'0'. The different devices control how the driver will talk to the tape
drive. For this to work correctly you will need to have either a fully
supported Sun tape drive or a correct entry in /kernel/drv/st.conf. See
man st for the full info. So to use compression select

/dev/rmt/0c  - rewind device
/dev/rmt/0cn - no rewind device

etc.

Peter