[SunHELP] What is load Avg?

Hobbs, Richard hobbs at mongeese.co.uk
Fri May 7 11:30:32 CDT 2004

Hello,

Ah... So I was almost correct :-)

It's actually for the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes (not 5, 10 and 15 as I
thought) but I was (almost) correct about what they represent - the total
length of the run queue + 1 for any job currently bring processed.

So, to re-write my explanation from last time:

So, load average readings of 1, 2, 3 for example would signify that over the
last minute there has been an average of 0 jobs queued for CPU time (and one
job being processed) and over the last 15 minutes the system has been getting
calmer/quieter.

Thanks for the link Sheldon :-)

--
Richard Hobbs            http://mongeese.co.uk