[SunHELP] What is load Avg?

Hobbs, Richard hobbs at mongeese.co.uk
Fri May 7 09:41:29 CDT 2004

Hello,

The three load averages are the following, respectively:

 - Average number of jobs queued for CPU time over the last 5 minutes.

 - Average number of jobs queued for CPU time over the last 10 minutes.

 - Average number of jobs queued for CPU time over the last 15 minutes.

So, load average readings of 1, 2, 3 for example would signify that over the
last 5 minutes there has been an average of 1 job queued for CPU time and
over the last 15 minutes the system has been getting calmer/quieter.

As for what is causing the load to go high, basically you need to check for
processes using a lot of CPU time by running the "prstat" or "top" command.
Remember however, that the load average shows the number of jobs (threads)
queued up, so one process could have a single thread (seti at home, DNET
etc...) or could have multiple threads (mozilla probably).

I'm 99.9% this is all correct anyway :-)

HTH!

Hobbs.

--
Richard Hobbs            http://mongeese.co.uk