[SunHELP] Dead Ultra 2

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Mar 31 20:01:44 CST 2004

Sevan / Venture37 says ...

> I've aquired a Ultra2 which seems to be dead. the unit has no
> frambuffer &
> I've been connecting via a null modem cable.
> the only output I seem to get from the box is a - sign & nothing else. I
> have reseated the memory, moved the memory in different banks, tried new
> memory in the system & still nothing, I have also tried holding
> down StopN &
> stopD neither have made any difference.
> I've also tried placing the cpu in another slot with no luck.
> I've gone over
> the system handbook & verified the jumper settings are correct aswell. I
> have carried out all of the above whilst running the system bare
> (no drives
> connected, alll cards removed, just mobo, ram & cpu in place).
> Is It safe to say that the system is completely FUBAR'd?

Since "Stop-N" is pretty rare on non-Sun keyboards ... Do you have a
keyboard hooked to the Ultra?  If so, it is probably trying to send its
video output to the framebuffer ... which in your case you have not got.

Try booting it up with no keyboard, and just a serial terminal or eumlator
using a proper cable and (ossibly) a null modem.

-Shel