[SunHELP] U60 won't boot 64bit Solaris...

Gereon 'Jerry' Stein gs at de.uu.net
Tue Mar 30 14:23:21 CST 2004

Hi,

I finally bought an Ultra 60 and installed the following hardware:

- 1280 Megs of RAM
- 2* 501-4849-03 300MHz CPU Module
- 2* Seagate Barracuda 50GB SCA disk
- Elite 3D UPA graphics board
- SunSwift PCI additional I/O Board

I was able to install Solaris 9 just fine, also upgrade Firmware of the
box to 3.31, but discovered Solaris 9 would only boot in 32bit mode!

Any attempt to "force" it to load 64bit OS leads to:

krtld:error during initial load/link phase
panic - boot: exitto64 returned from client program

I exchanged virtually everything: CPUs, RAM, disks, graphics boards,
I/O-board - tried removing hardware to a minimum setup -> same effect.

Following hints I found elsewhere, I even tried _downgrading_ the
firmware again. Needless to say that this didn't make things any better
(or worse, for that matter).

Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Thanks,

Jerry