[SunHELP] Replace drive in A5200

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Mar 24 21:16:10 CST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 05:55:33PM -0800, Saul Serna wrote:
> To the guru's.
>
> I need some help replacing a damaged drive in a A5200. On the A5200 screen it
> shows "offline". Does this mean I can pull it out while the A5200 is on
> without affecting the RAID? I am also running Solstice Disk Suite 4.2.1. What
> would the procedure be for replacing the drive and syncing it back up to the
> mirrors.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You want to look at man metareplace.  In particular, my understanding is what you
want to do is this:

(1)  Swap out the failed disk.  (Pop it loose, give it ten seconds or so to spin
     down, remove it, plug in the new disk, wait for it to spin up.)

(2)  Set up the partition table.
     prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/<good_disk> | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/<new_disk>

(3)  Tell DiskSuite to rebuild on the new device:
     metareplace -e <metadevice> <new_disk>

And you should be in business.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :