[SunHELP] Mirrored disks

Edward Chase echase at studentweb.providence.edu
Fri Mar 19 13:04:54 CST 2004

dd - safer...?  No!  Write anything to the source drive and your destination
drive is out of sync at that point.  dd is just a snapshot of the source
drive.

David,

I found the documents at docs.sun.com to be pretty good at getting me
through it all.  I just setup mirroring on a Solaris 9  (2) drive system.

The biggest thing that you may need to read a few times about is the
"Solaris Volume Manager State Database Replicas".  If I'm doing it correctly
there needs to be a small slice on each of your disks for these.  Which you
may need to repartition your drives in order to add one.  (I've got 50MB set
for this.)

Contact me directly and perhaps I can help you out a bit.  I don't claim to
be an expert on this, but I've just done it recently and took notes.
Perhaps I can get you through it.

Ed (echase at studentweb dot providence dot edu)