[SunHELP] Bringing up a new Ultra 2...

vijay kumar vijay_sys at rediffmail.com
Mon Jun 14 07:15:24 CDT 2004

Hi Espen,

greetings.

What are the differences between Solstice disk suite &
veritas volume manager?  Is it possible to use both softwares in a solaris
server?

Also, volume manager for Solaris sparc edition is different from
Solaris intel edition?

Thanks & regards
Vijay

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 Espen
Randen wrote :
>On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 05:31:16PM -0400, Eric Webb wrote:

I'm bringing up a new (to me) Ultra 2 and need some help getting started.

> > 1) Looking for a comparison of Solaris 8, 9 and 10, including
> > 	a) more
important new features/fixes in each release
> > 	b) which versions supported
on which platforms (sun4d|m|u)

>This page gives a comparison of Solaris 2.6
- 9.
>http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/fcc/fcc.html
>
>Features for
Solaris 10;
>http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/10/
>
> > 	c) when did Sun
change the "hobbyist license" and effect on SMP boxes

>I seem to remember
that Solaris 9 changed the hobbyist license to only include
>uniprocessor
machines. Solaris 8 has no such limitations.
>Of course, this is only a
license restrictions, you can run Solaris 9 on an U2
>with SMP, but doing so
will be in violation of the license.

> > 2) I need a primer on disk storage
management under Solaris.  I'm from the AIX
> > camp, so I'm very familiar
with LVM.  I want to run a mirrored disk
> > configuration using the two
internal bays on the U2.  I may have to install
> > the box on one drive, and
need to add the second drive and mirror the two at
> > a later date.  I hear a
lot about the Veritas filesystem stuff and believe it
> > was added into
Solaris at some point (when?), but I don't know anything about
> > what it is
or its capabilities.

>Veritas is still a 3rd party application, but Solaris
9 now includes Solaris Volume
>Manager (it is called Disk Suite for Solaris 8
and older). It doesn't have all the
>bells and whistles that Veritas has, but
it will allow you to set up disks in either
>RAID 0,1 and 5.
>This page talks
about Disk Suite 4.2.1 for Solaris 8, but it also works with Solaris 9;
>http://stmental.gwi.net/~dfoster/disk_suite/disksuite_howto.htm
>
> > 3) Is
Boot prom rev 3.1 latest for this machine?

>OBP 3.25 is the latest according
to:
>http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?patchid=104169&collection=fpatch
es&mode=results

>--
>"YOU, with the C++ compiler and no knowledge of how
computers work!
McGuire, rescue at sunhelp.org