[SunHELP] Lower cost SCSI card

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jun 8 16:20:30 CDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:25:33PM -0300, Javier O. Augusto wrote:
> As I want to get rid of the two IDE hardrives I'm actually using, I was
> looking at sunsolve for a cheap SCSI card supported by my Blade 100
> Workstation running Solaris 9 (12/03) _all_patch_applied_.
> All I got to see was those Symbios cards , i.e. Sym875 and stuff..
> The sym22801 seems a good choice, but dont know if those adaptecs
> ultrascsi are supported =/
> Could anyone enlighten me to a lower cost SCSI card already tested and
> supported on this units? Is it worth?
> I would be very grateful  to hear your opinions.

Just pick up a Symbios 53c875-based card off eBay.  They should be dirt
cheap now - I paid $50 for one a couple of years ago.

Only the Adaptec 2940UW-OF (with OpenFirmware) was supported, and its
drivers were horribly buggy.  I dont know that any of the newer cards
are supported at all.

Bill

--
bill bradford