[SunHELP] Moving data from a small disk to a larger disk

Suraj Talreja Suraj_Talreja at kaleconsultants.com
Thu Feb 5 00:30:25 CST 2004

Hi,
As far as i see there are 2 possible options:
1. Connect the new HDD, format and partition it as per ur requirement and then
add these new partitions to the existing HDD using growfs or Solstice.

OR

2. Copy the data (non-root)on the exisiting HDD to the new HDD using cpio,dd
or ufsdump.
Backup root (in single-user mode) on a tape-media and then restore it to the
new HDD.
I have apprehensions in using dd,cpio for the root file-system as it may not
necessarily copy the  VTOC at sector 0 of the HDD to the new HDD.

Regards,

Suraj.