[SunHELP] Building a mouse pad for SUN mouse

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Fri Dec 17 11:15:09 CST 2004

> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 05:50, Daniel Tahin wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Hopefully you can help me by this problem. I would like to use a SUN Type 4/5
> mouse but i don't have the appropriate pad. Can you tell me some information
> about this pad (distance of the grids, color of the vertical/horizontal lines,
> material of the pad).
> >

> > Great thanx for your hint!
> > Daniel
>
> The dots (not a grid) are incredibly close together, it would take
> forever to make one by hand. It's much easier to find a pad. You might
> find it works with a short-nap velour cloth. Or you could try creating a
> dot field and laserprinting it.

My "pads" appear to be blue lines on a shiny aluminum surface.  I've tried
a photocopy of a real pad but it didn't work for me.  The best thing I could
find other than a real optical pad was a piece of metal for duct work.  The
crystalline zinc coating was enough for the mouse to read but due to the
irregular nature of the pattern, the cursor was a bit "drunk" :->  Real pads
occasionally show up on eBay, sometimes in bunches.  Must be a herd
instinct.
Bob