[SunHELP] moving a disk

Vermette, Matt Spawar (723) matt.vermette at navy.mil
Mon Aug 30 10:06:46 CDT 2004

Go to this link, which I have done, and I did not see an entry for "hot-pluggable disk bays".
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/E4500/spec.html

This would mean to me that pulling a hard drive and reinserting would not be recommended while the system is running.

This would be my recommendation:
    a)  Shut the system down
    b)  Move your disk from current location to new location
    c)  Locate a Solaris 7, 8 or 9 install cd-rom
    d)  Power on the system and execute a 'stop a' at the "Initializing Memory' to access the 'ok' prompt.
    e)  Execute 'probe-scsi' and ensure all your drives are being seen by your hardware PROM
    f)  Boot off the the cdrom utilizing the following command:  'boot cdrom -sw'.  This will allow you to boot from the cdrom and utilize this environment to setup your logical, physical, and instance names correctly
    g)  Mount your root file system onto a mount point provided by the cdrom environment utilizing the following command:  'mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a'
    h)  Backup your /etc/path_to_install file utilizing the following command:  'mv /a/etc/path_to_install /a/etc/path_to_install.orig'
    i)  Clean out your logical path entries utilizing the following command:  'rm /a/dev/dsk/c*'
    j)  Clean out your physical  path entries utilizing the following command:  'rm /a/dev/rdsk/c*'
    k)  Clean out your magnetic tape entries utilizing the following command:  'rm /a/dev/rmt/*'
    l)  Rebuild your device tree utilizing the following command:  'devfsadm -r /a -p /a/etc/path_to_install'
    m)  Ensure your tree was rebuilt executing the following command:  'cd /a/dev/dsk; ls -l; cd /a/dev/rdsk; ls -l; cd /a/dev/rmt; ls -l'
    n)  Prepare to reboot the system.  'cd /; umount /a; fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0'
    o)  Reboot the system.  You will not be required to execute a 'boot -r'.

Matt