[SunHELP] moving a disk

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Mon Aug 30 09:25:43 CDT 2004

On Aug 30, 2004, at 9:20 AM, Grindell, Joan M. wrote:

> This disk is on a 4500.  We installed the disk with the system up on
> Friday
> with the system up and running.
>
> How would i know if the 4500 has hot-pluggable disk bays.
>
> to get rid of the old /dev (the position from which it is being moved)
> the
> only option would be a "boot -r"?

No. You can run 'devfsadm -v -C' from the command line and that is
cleanup mode - it'll only remove /dev and /devices entries for hardware
that's no-longer present.

Also, be sure to realize that when you move a drive, it has a
difference /dev/dsk/ name as a result. Be sure this is reflected in
your /etc/vfstab file so any file systems that are on it mount.

/dale