[SunHELP] Solaris 10 and zones

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Wed Aug 18 15:03:23 CDT 2004

On Aug 18, 2004, at 3:52 PM, Javier O. Augusto wrote:

>> Man, I have to say that Zones on Solaris 10 absolutely rock.
>

> Solaris 10 Beta 6?
>
> Drop some specs from the hardware you are playing with.

This is on Solaris 10 s10_60, so I suppose that means beta 6. I
downloaded the ISO images off of sun.com just two days ago.

I'm actually running Solaris 10 x86 on a Dell Optiplex desktop PC with
a 2.7Ghz P4 and 512MB of RAM.

I made a basic zone, and booted it. Using the zlogin utility, I made a
"console" connection to the new zone and was greeted by the standard
Solaris install screens where it asked to configure the usual things
such as hostname, name service, root password, etc. You can presumably
install a zone from jumpstart or a flash archive as well.

rebooted the zone, and the kernel booted and everything came up in
about 2 seconds.

Keep in mind a zone is its own virtual machine. it has its own IP
address, you can limit the amount of RAM, CPUs, and disk space it
consumes (among other things) and do whatever you would normally do on
a usual installation of Solaris (unique users, apply patches, etc etc)

/dale