[SunHELP] Solaris 8: Unable to login

Bret Adams bret at fabrikant.com
Mon Aug 16 10:54:49 CDT 2004

Charu:

At this point I agree with everyone that you need to reinstall your system
fresh.

For the future, you may also want to think about chkrootkit package from
sunfreeware.  This will examine your system and look
for signs of tampering against known hacker rootkits.  Rootkits are used by
hackers to modify ls or ps so you dont see the hacker process or hacker
files.  It checks passwd file tampering and such.  Especially very useful
for mail servers or any server that has any ports open to the outside.

You may also want to look at NMapWin which you can use to "sniff out open
ports" on your servers.  One, it can help you diagnose which services you
dont need and can disable.

I use this tool from the outside of my firewall to make sure any ports that
have to be open on the inside are not seen from the outside.

You also need to make sure for the future that you are patching your system
on a regular basis because certain vulnerabilities will get fixed over time
and you need to make sure that you are fixing those things.

Also, what version of sendmail are you running?  Make sure you are on
8.12.x at least.  There was a huge vulnerability in 8.11 and below.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bret