[SunHELP] Solaris 8: Unable to login

Gary.Siao at bmo.com Gary.Siao at bmo.com
Fri Aug 13 10:43:07 CDT 2004

best practice is to harden the server using YASSP or JASS...

YASSP     http://www.yassp.org/
JASS         http://wwws.sun.com/software/security/jass/

cheers !
Gary Siao
UNIX Systems Analyst
Technology & Solutions - Open Systems Services
BMO Financial Group
T : 416.502.5906   F : 416.502.7038
E : Gary.Siao at bmo.com

                      Phil Stracchino
                      <alaric at caerllew         To:      The SunHELP List <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
                      ys.net>                  cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 8: Unable to login
                      sunhelp-bounces@
                      sunhelp.org

                      13/08/2004 11:40
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to The SunHELP
                      List

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 10:59:25AM +0530, Charu Kamath wrote:
> Saily/Phil,
>
> Thanks.I re-installed the machine and again have enabled tcp_wrappers and
> disabled SMC as well.
> What other precautions to be taken to protect the machine from hackers??
Pls
> suggest.
> I dont want to take risk moreover I am newbie.

Start by downloading and installing the latest Solaris 8 recommended
patch cluster from www.sun.com.  Then read the document on securing
Solaris found at http://fixsolaris.sunhelp.org/fixsolaris8.txt and apply
it.  That'll be a good start.  If you're not already behind a firewall,
consider installing one.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net