[SunHELP] Solaris 8: Unable to login

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Aug 10 23:19:40 CDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 09:46:41AM +0530, Charu Kamath wrote:
> Hey Saily,
>
> Thanks a ton. I disabled SMC server.
> By the way could this be a problem for my sendmail service not being able to
> start. I got the error -
> #/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1m
> sendmail:SYSERR(root): sasl_server_init failed! [generic failure]
>
> And now it has started. Thanks to you.
> Can I join any mailing list or site to get the info on latest
> patches/vulnerabilities pertaining to Solaris 7 & 8.

The latest patch clusters are always available from sun.com.

In the meantime, starting sendmail is the least of your worries.  Your
machine was *rooted*.  Turning off SMC Server will not undo that.  Your
safest course of action is to reinstall the machine cleanly.  Keep in
mind that your /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files were probably stolen by
whoever rooted your machine, and that person may well be running a
password cracker against them at this moment.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net