[SunHELP] passwd command

Nigel Trivass trivass at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 09:14:13 CDT 2004

   More info on this problem.

   when entering passwd -f <username>

   bash-2.03# id
   uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
   bash-2.03# passwd -f ntrivass
   Password:

   if i enter my existing user password - i.e. not root's password - then
   the system responds:

   passwd: password information changed for ntrivass

   Now this isn't the way passwd should work....as the SA would need to
   know the user password of each user....

   any ideas, greatly appreciated....

   >From: "Nigel Trivass" <trivass at hotmail.com>
   >To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
   >Subject: [SunHELP] passwd command
   >Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:34:41 +0100
   >

   >    Could anyone enlighten me on the following problem.
   >
   >    When running the passwd command against a username - logged on as
   root
   >    - i am being prompted to enter a password e.g.
   >
   >    [root at sys01 /etc]# passwd -f ntrivass
   >    Password:
   >
   >    The nsswitch.conf is set correctly:
   >
   >    #
   >    # /etc/nsswitch.dns:
   >    #
   >    # An example file that could be copied over to
   /etc/nsswitch.conf; it