[SunHELP] SNMP Tools

TomST at netins.com TomST at netins.com
Wed Apr 28 08:04:29 CDT 2004

The best that you can do is put a network sniffer on the lan and watch the
packets go out and not get a response.  We currently use a OptiView from
Fluke.  I have also heard good things about http://www.ethereal.com/ and I
think it is free.  If you can't afford a real sniffer then what you could do
is write something in perl (Net::SNMP) to poll a few of the devices.  You can
put that in debug and capture everything to a file.  You should see the
request go out and nothing come back.  You should also check your wait time
for a snmp poll.  If you are looking to prove that there is congestion on the
network you should try and run MRTG
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/.  That will tell you about
the available bandwidth and cpu issues that you may or may not have.  Hopes
this helps.

Tom