[SunHELP] Probelms with ufsrestore

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 8 07:23:58 CDT 2003

From: "Lara Matthews" <lara.matthews at accesscomputing.co.uk>

> I create the disk slices with jumpstart, put on a minimal kernel of the
> OS and then get the post install script to ufsrestore.
>
> So there should already be a slice created.
>
> Am I missing something here?

In the past when I've moved from one non-identical system to another the
proceedure went something like...

* boot -s cdrom
* format (partition) disk(s) manually
* newfs relevant paritions
* mount partitions on temp mount points
* ufsrestore -ivf relevant dumps to appropriate mount points
* modify the vfstab in etc wherever it's temp mounted to reflect new
disk/device layout if necessary

IIRC it's also usually necessary to rebuild path_to_install or something along
those lines with devlinks/drvconfig etc. A quick Google or browse of the man
pages should point you in the right direction. I think an "installboot" was
required too at one point.

Will.