[SunHELP] Disk Clone

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Nov 7 07:43:02 CST 2003

"From: Asif Iqbal <iqbala at qwestip.net>
"
"Is this possible ?

yes.

"I have a machine at remote location. I need to clone that disk to another disk
"which is hanging off of a local machine as a second disk but nothing on it.
"
"Any help/suggestion/direction will be greatly appreciated

if the two drives have identical geometries - eg. are the same model,
then dd would be the fastest way of copying - dd on the remote system
piped to dd on the local one.

if the disks are different, format and mount the local disk, then
ufsdump the remote piped to ufsrestore on the local.

ordinarily, large block sizes speed disk cloning, but i don't know how
network behavior would affect this.