[SunHELP] Re: Need info for sun magazine

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Jun 27 09:26:12 CDT 2003

"From: Vikas Gandhi <VGandhi at quark.co.in>
"
"  I want to subscribe for a free magazine from Sun (like I have for Oracle).
"this also gives free access to oracle S/W also (User Editions). I have
"browsed thru their site also but I am not able to find anything significant
"about it. Though we have a plenty of Sun Servers and user other sun-products
"also, we really do not even come to know if any upgrade /patch of sun
"OS/compilers have come. So I would love to have a newsletter/magazine where
"info+knowledge+other details can be found.

for patches, sun has a perl tool that you can run, patchcheck.  it
uses a datafile that you can download, /pub/patches/patchdiag.xref
from sunsolve, which is updated monthly.

i have a script to do this, which i run from cron the first sunday of
every month.

i have a second script which parses the output and fetches the patches
i don't already have, which i run manually.

then, it's
cd $PATCH_DIR && patchadd -M $PWD $(ls -d 1[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9])
whenever i get around to actually installing them.

they also do have a weekly email with all the latest patch info
[patchclub?] but i forget how i signed up for it.