[SunHELP] Small RAID array setup

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Jun 26 12:07:40 CDT 2003

For the last few years, I've been using a SPARCstation Classic as a
fileserver on our little network.  Its single disk drive was large enough to
store our critical data, and an attached DDS tape drive served to back it
up.  The Classic has been running Solaris 7.

Due to a new business venture, both the amount of data and its importance is
changing.  I'd like to set up a small RAID system so that I can save more
data, and do it more securely.  Naturally, I don't want to spend any money,
but I have some stuff on hand I can use.  I have another Classic, a Sun 911
case, and the 5 drives required to fill them.  All 5 drives are the same
size, 4.5 gigs.  I also have a set of Solaris 9 install CDs. I plan to use
the existing 2-4 gig DDS drive as backup.

I would prefer security, capacity, and speed, in that order, for the RAID
setup.

What would you suggest as the configuration most likely to achieve that?

-Shel
--
Sheldon T. Hall
shel at cmhc.com