[SunHELP] Couple of questions (long)

Scott Walker crimson at unspeakable.org
Fri Jun 6 21:59:30 CDT 2003

I'm installing solaris on a SS20 from a Debian linux box connected via a
hub. The reason for this is the SS20 has no cdrom and is 1,500 miles
away in colo. I have serial console so I'm set for that.

I have the debian box all setup, I see the rarp come in.. ip get handed
out... bootparamd hands out the boot info..

I get this:

<#0> ok boot net
-install
Boot device: /iommu at f,e0000000/sbus at f,e0001000/SUNW,hme at 1,8c00000  File
and args: -install
20800
Warning: boot will not enable
cache
Enter filename
[kernel/unix]:
Enter default directory for modules
[/platform/SUNW,SPARCstation-20/kernel /platform/sun4m/kernel /kernel]:

Name of system file
[etc/system]:
SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_108528-09
32-bit
Copyright 1983-2001 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights
reserved.
root filesystem type
[nfs]:
Enter physical name of root
device
[/iommu at f,e0000000/sbus at f,e0001000/SUNW,hme at 1,8c00000]:
root name:
unreachable

Now, when it boots it asks for the filename, the modules path, name of
the system file, asks for the root fs, the device and this mysterious
'root name'.

I believe i have it all setup properly, for a noninteractive install (at
this point i'd be happy with either).

I've shared out the proper directories via nfs...

I am at a total loss.. does anyone have any info?