[SunHELP] How Do I......

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Jun 4 17:01:25 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 04:54:10PM -0400, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> > is CDE), and ask yourself whether you want to:
> >    (A) just join the disks end-to-end into one big logical disk?
> >    (B) distribute data across all four disks in parallel?
> > or (C) set up RAID5 across the four disks?
>
> 	The preference order here is c , then b, then a. Until your post I
> was simply hoping to get A out of the deal. What graphical interface are you
> referring to? I dug around and came up empty.

The GUI to DiskSuite is called metatool.

> 	Were do I get metadb and metainit from? I checked the machine and
> came up with nothing in man for either of these commands. Find / | grep
> meta* brought me no love either. This machine came with solaris 8 12/02
> installed. I have added the recomended patches to it and the patches to make
> the Ultra Scsi controller work. No other software has been added.

You need the following packages:

application SUNWdsab       Solstice DiskSuite 4.2.1 Collection
system      SUNWmdg        Solstice DiskSuite Tool
system      SUNWmdnr       Solstice DiskSuite Log Daemon Configuration Files
system      SUNWmdnu       Solstice DiskSuite Log Daemon
system      SUNWmdr        Solstice DiskSuite Drivers
system      SUNWmdu        Solstice DiskSuite Commands
system      SUNWmdx        Solstice DiskSuite Drivers(64-bit)

These on your Solaris 8 media, software CD 2.  You'll find them in the
Solaris_8/EA/products/DiskSuite_4.2.1/sparc/Packages directory.