[SunHELP] How Do I......

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Jun 4 15:51:00 CDT 2003

 Michael A. Turner [mailto:mturner at whro.org] writes, inter alia ...

> The big problem we have is that the NOC is at
> one end of the building and the IT department is at the other
> extreme end on a different floor.

Oopsie!

> Trying to do routine maintence is a pain in the @ss, but
> some bean counter thought it would be better this way. We use Terminal
> services a lot because of this and he wants something similar for
> the sun. I figure X-windows would be a good bet.

I run X from my laptop to my server ... 5 feet away, even though I have a
keyboard and monitor on the server.  It's just more convenient this way.  I
don't have to run down the hall to change tapes, though.

> Ah you have helped already, it was X-win32 I used last time. That
> helped jog my memory now.

X-Win32 is commercial software, but has the advantage that you can use
Windows as the window manager, which might be easier on some folks.  XFree86
is more traditional, but it's free.  There are other commercial packages, as
well, but I haven't used 'em.  There's also VNC, which I use for
Windows-to-Windows, but not for Unix.

I suppose there's still a demo version of X-Win32 on starnet.com's website.

Holler if I can be of more help.

-Shel