[SunHELP] How Do I......

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Wed Jun 4 15:38:37 CDT 2003

> As for putting one filesystem on four drives in a D1000, I
> think you're SOL without software like Solstice DiskSuite. On
> Sun's web site, at
> www.sun.com/storage/workgroup/a1000/details.html, it says,
> "The servers may access the disk drives as individual storage
> components or may use software RAID solutions to aggregate
> the disk drives into bigger logical disk volumes." So dig out
> Disk Two of Two, or download the current version from Sun's
> web site. (I can dig up the URL if you need it.)

	You mention disk Two of Two. I am curious about this, as I
understand it I do not currently hold a copy of Disksuite, but could I be
wrong. I have the solaris 8 media rigth here, HW 12/02. Is Disksuite on
this. From looking at suns site I got the impression that it was a seperate
purchase.

>     The second question, about remote desktops, is easier.
> Have you heard of VNC? One dynamite feature of VNC is that
> the session is _local_ to the Sun, and you attach to it from
> any system -- PC, Mac, Sun, whatever -- that has a client. It
> also means that you don't have to kill the session when you
> leave your desk: the session stays running on the Sun, but
> you close your VNC connection to it.
>    It's possible to tunnel a VNC connection over SSH for
> security. You're only sending bitmap updates instead of full
> frames so it's quicker than X. (And I think there's a version
> optimized for dial-up use.)
>    It's pretty damn cool.
>    Oh, and if your boss runs a Sun on his desk instead of a
> PC, it's still workable. "I wub you, VNC!"
>    Otherwise, look into the xhost command.
> -wde
> P.S. I sent this directly to you since my subscription's
> hosed, but feel free to reply to it on the list so other
> people may point out the flaws in my ideas. :7)
> --
> Will Enestvedt
> UNIX System Administrator
> Johnson & Wales University -- Providence, RI

	This facinates me. I am very familiar with VNC but I had no idea
that it could run over SSH. Do you have some documentation on this so that I
can look at it?

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org