[SunHELP] Help - Axis Print Server is behaving badly

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Tue Jun 3 16:27:19 CDT 2003

We're scraping the bottom of the barrel at work; short notice class and we
need to produce a working label printer/print server.  By Wednesday.
Morning.  Good planning, huh?

Our printer guy unearthed an 'Axis NPS 550 RISC' - a 1994 model print
server, two parallel and one serial port.  He even remembered the root
password from that era, something to be said for longevity.  No 'web'
interface of course, and Axis newer print mgt software doesn't seem to know
how to talk to it.

I've managed to get the IP address switched over to our current 'net and I
can talk to it but when I point the TCP/IP stream from the server the print
jobs _go_ but nothing spills out at the far end.  Current conjecture is that
the something isn't configured right on the (Axis) print server side but
we've reached an impasse.

I'm sending this out partly for the memory jog responses to this list seem
to bring ... but if anyone has a magic button to push that just makes these
things work that would be nice.

Brian Dunbar
System Administrator - Plexus