[SunHELP] A1000 issues

Hichael Morton mh1272 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 20:07:28 CDT 2003

this is not a complete list of things to do.

1. identify the slot numbers and properly associate the drives with the
slots.  (if moved, the drives will need to go into the same slots in the
other a1000.  if the drives are not in the same slots, you will not be
able to use the data.)

2. record the raid manager configuration data.  (you will need to create
new luns with exactly the same configuration in order to access your
data after moving your drives to another a1000.)

3. record any volume manager configuration information (veritas volume
manager, soltice disksuite, sun volume manager, etc.)

when you move the drives to another a1000.
1. install the drives exactly the same (slot-to-drive).
2. in raid manager, create exactly the same luns.
3. do not initialize, format, etc. the restored configuration.
(if moving already configured drives, initializing, formatting,
reconfiguring the drives will destroy the data.  the drives are already
configured and you only need to restore the lun configuration.)
4. restore and volume manager configuration.
(do not initialize, format, etc.)

everything should work.

we normally configure luns with a test/devlopement machine and then move
the a1000s to production machines.  we have moved and recreated luns.
we have done with great success.  we keep this kind of documentation.

check the documentation and add any applicable steps.