[SunHELP] Trouble with terminal access

Joseph Bruzzo jeb at higheraccess.com
Fri Jul 25 15:27:16 CDT 2003

While connecting a SUN Ultra 1 running Solaris 8 to a Cisco AS2511-RJ
Access Router, the following situation occurred.

Cisco AS2511-RJ Access Router Line Configuration settings
line 15
 session-timeout 20
 no exec
 exec-timeout 15 0
 password 7 06255C326C5C52
 login
 transport input all
 stopbits 1
 flowcontrol hardware

I am able to access other servers through the router and they all work fine.

I have made the following changes to the Ultra 1

 - While logged in as root
   kbd -a disable [enter]
   init 0 [enter]

 - Open Boot Prompt
   setenv auto-boot? false [enter]
   setenv output-device ttya [enter]
   setenv input-device ttya [enter]
   ttya-rts-dtr-off=false [enter]
   ttya-ignore-cd=true [enter]
   reset [enter]

Now when I try to telnet to the router with the port number assigned
to this Ultra 1, Access is accepted but I have no keyboard functionality.

   telnet <ip-addr> <portnum> [enter]

If I remove the connection from the serial and connect the monitor and
keyboard, I am not able to do anything and I also do not get a display.

If I connect the serial and the keyboard I am not able to type anything
as well.

When I try the keyboard with another system the keyboard works fine.

My question is how can I restore the input and output device to keyboard
and monitor.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jeb