[SunHELP] sparc 10 crash - help needed

Arthur Wouk awouk at ra.nilenet.com
Sat Jul 19 00:22:05 CDT 2003

thanks for all the help i have had with this aooarently dead ss10.
most useful was the long diagnostic plan given  by buddy lumpkin in
his long post with the header:

:Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:45:34 -0700
:From: "Lumpkin, Buddy" <Buddy.Lumpkin at nordstrom.com>
:Subject: RE: [SunHELP] sparc 10 crash - help needed
:To: "The SunHELP List" <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>

i was able to pick up a cheap sparc10 ($20) today, and i started
switching parts back and forth. my original hard drive was first: it
booted just fine in the new machine. because of a problem with boot
prom versions, i had to take the mbus/cpu module from the new machine
to the old machine. still nothing happening. i switched the frame
buffers - no change. i pulled all the ram and tried that. nothing
happening.

i conclude that the motherboard of the old ss10 is fried, and i
will move the boot prom from it, together with the ross hypersparc
150mhz cpu to the new machine. if that runs, that will be my new
machine. (i have a 2.25R boot prom in the old machine, and 2.12 in the
new machine.) and now i have a parts machine to backup things.

i have one remaining question: should i move the old nvram over to the
new machine, or let well enough alone? what are the pros and cons of
that?
thanks to all who wrote, and particularly to buddy lumpkin.