[SunHELP] BAD TRAP occurred in module "ufs" when changing local files over NFS

Sven.Hartrumpf at FernUni-Hagen.de Sven.Hartrumpf at FernUni-Hagen.de
Tue Jul 15 02:06:54 CDT 2003

To (partially) answer my own questions (I hope somebody will find it useful
when using the list archives):

On 11 Jul 2003, I wrote:
> Somebody (thanks a lot!) mentioned Sun bug 4854840 (which is unfortunately
> not publicly available) and even more importantly the following workaround:
> "[do] not use ACLs on UFS filesystems that are shared read/write to
> questionable NFS clients".
> So you already know what I want to ask:
>
> How should I do this (turning off ACLs on 3 (among 8 partitions)) under
> SunOS 5.9? (in filemanager, there always stayed one ACL line which can not
> be deleted).
>

> Another solution would be to get a Linux kernel (for SuSE 8.2) which doesn't
> cause this problem (i.e. fixing the NFS client, if you can't fix the NFS
> server):
>
> Does anybody know such a beast and more specifically which Linux kernel version
> contains the relevant patch?

The following workaround works for us:
mount all NFS filesystems from Sun servers with the option noacl.
(Typically just replace "defaults" by "noacl" in your Linux boxes'
/etc/fstab.)

Greetings
Sven