[SunHELP] strange ls behaviour

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jul 10 07:40:38 CDT 2003

"From: Sven.Hartrumpf at FernUni-Hagen.de
"
"On 10 Jul 2003, "Simon Jespersen" <shj at pine.dk> wrote:
"
"> Hi on my blade 100 sol8 box i have a very strange behaviour.
">
"> when i try to list my sendmail files it doens shows up
">
"> ls -l send*
">
"> gives no response,
">
"> find . -name "send*" -print
">
"> gives no repsonse
">
"> but if i do a
">
"> file send*
">
"> i can see that the sendmail configurations file are there and i can edit
"> them in vi.
"
"Please check the integrity of ls and find (sizes, dates, md5sum's, etc.) -
"just to be sure.
"These binaries are often manipulated in so-called root kits (while 'file'
"is normally not affected).

also try /usr/ucb/ls, as it is also often overlooked by rootkit
attacks.