[SunHELP] Squid is slow

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jul 4 20:13:28 CDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 06:13:30PM +0200, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:56:03 -0400
> Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 08:51:54AM +0200, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have installed squid, on a sparc4 with 88Mb ram and sol 2.6 and find
> > > it extreemly slow. Could this be because this is a 'slow' machine with
> > > not mutch ram?
> >
> > What kind of network connection does this machine have?
> 10Mbit

You have 10Mbit to the outside world, or is this just your LAN?

> > How many clients are using the cache?
> >
> 1
> > How bit is the cache?
> >
> 1024 mb

This should not be slow.

I have 2.5GB of cache on an SS5 and generally keep squid at around 32MB,
and it has 9 redirectors running ad-zapper.  Seems plenty fast.

I only have a modem connection, but the same machine has handled a cable
connection with 3 users and 2 machines without a problem.

I used an old Pentium system to squid for an office of 75 people a
couple of years ago.