[SunHELP] quick passwd alternatives

timuel-sunlist timuel-sunlist at voicenet.com
Fri Jan 31 11:44:38 CST 2003

We do have several replicas, however sometimes machines tend to "get stuck" to a
particular replica, etc. So, for instance, if "smtp-server-A" is stuck to
"nis-replica-B" and "nis-replica-B" gets re-booted, lots of mail bounces.

Also, a catastrophic failure situation could be defined by many situations, for
instance, if the passwd-type-file that we use to generate the passwd.org_dir
gets corrupted/truncated and propagated through the replicas etc. (we were
trying to think of situations that haven`t occurred yet, and that we haven`t
thought of -- before they actually happen.

Does Solaris let you use /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow DBM files? Are there any
other alternatives to /etc/passwd in order to get "quick" local-passwd lookups?
CDB`s would be nice. Could anyone possible point me towards a how-to? We`d
basically like to use something like this in nsswitch.conf:

"passwd:    files nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] db"

Thanks.

--
timuel