[SunHELP] NTP Problems

Jim Pennino jimp at specsol.com
Thu Jan 23 14:06:20 CST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:40:52PM -0500, Simoncini, Matthew wrote:
> Hello gurus,
>
> My company just bought me a Sun Blade 150 and I'm configuring NTP under
> Solaris 8. I copied the /etc/inet/ntp.client file to /etc/inet/ntp.conf and
> added the following information:
>
> # Time server that this client is synching to.
> server 172.17.5.202 prefer
> # Drift file is necessary, touch the file.
> driftfile /etc/inet/ntp.drift

<snip>

> Matthew Simoncini
> Accenture / Boston Scientific

There's no need for "prefer" in this case, but I don't think that would
make any difference.

Shut down ntp and manually (as root) do:

ntpdate -q 172.17.5.202

and see if the server responds, then try:

ntpdate -p 8 172.17.5.202

and see if the time gets set.

If those fail, its a network/access problem with the server.

--
Jim Pennino