[SunHELP] time sync; slew

Thu Jan 16 10:49:05 CST 2003

I wanted to confirm this.  It seems ntpdate, xntpd, and ntp are all
pointing to the same concept.  From what you tell me that if were to
manualy start the xntpd dameon that it would hard change the time,
then slightly adjust it there afterward.  I would definitely want
the hard change to occur on bootup as opposed to while the system
is in use. So I'll place a tested configuration in place and
schedule a reboot.

Thanks for your help.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Pennino [mailto:jimp at specsol.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 11:41 AM
To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Subject: Re: [SunHELP] time sync; slew

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:15:43AM -0500, Markham, Richard wrote:
> My objective is to sync my sun servers against two time servers that
> are in place.  The archives indicated several ways to do this and I'm
> currious if implementing xntpd is the way to go. I plan to make a hard
> change of the system time and afterwards I hope that xntpd will slew
> the clock time regularly where the time is kept closely in sync
> without and abrubt forward or backward change.  If anyone is
> implementing this scenerio I would like to see your /etc/init/ntp.conf
> file or welcome your opinions on this situation.

You might want to go to www.ntp.org and read up a bit on ntp.

IMHO ntp is the only sane way to keep the system time accurate.

Your ntp.conf file need have nothing more than:

server first-server-name-or-IP
server second--server-name-or-IP
driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift

The drift file has to exist.

When ntp starts on a Sun, the /etc/init.d/xntpd file calles ntpdate to do a
"slew" to the correct time. See man ntpdate for the particulars.

Once xntpd is running, it doesn't "slew", it adjusts the clock by small
amounts, fractions of a second, to keep it accurate assuming the time
servers are accessable and accurate.

--
Jim Pennino
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org