[SunHELP] The final chapter with my freezing sun

Joe Stump jstump at aa.acinc.com
Wed Jan 15 14:02:12 CST 2003

I'm sure you guys are well aware of my E450 woes by now. Basically the
machine gets to "Use is subject to license terms" which is followed by the
twirling / which eventually freezes. It's at this time the machine appears
to "wind down" (ie. the sound your machines make when it goes into sleep
mode: fans/hdds sping down, etc.)

Here is what I've tried thus far ...

1.) set-defaults
2.) reset-all
3.) probe-scsi-all
4.) remove RAM one module at a time
5.) remove hard drives
6.) unplug all cards
7.) boot from CDROM

In all instances (yes even booting from the CDROM) it freezes at the
twirling /

In my last instance I booted with 512mb of RAM in one module with 0 hdd's
and 0 adapter cards plugged in. I tried to boot from the CDROM and it froze.

I figure that the only thing left to conclude is that there is a bad SCSI
controller in the thing (which I'm confused about since I removed the other
two SCSI controllers as to where this bad SCSI controller could be, but the
CDROM still boots).

I know one guy from the list emailed me saying he was in the Ann Arbor, MI
area. Please email me offline with hourly pricing since I've hit the end of
my Sun/hardware knowledge.

If anyone out there has any last minute ideas please share :)

Thanks!

--Joe

--
Joe Stump <joe at joestump.net>